You’re a Theologian…but Are You a Good One?

ChurchLeaders | 5/22/2019 | Staff
duck.ie (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/5.23.HOME_.CC.GoodTheologian.jpg

“Everyone is a theologian.”

Something about the thin, round glasses hanging on the end of the professor’s nose and the bow tie neatly tucked beneath his white collar made him feel all the more believable.

Day - School - Freshman - Year - Host

It was my first day of Bible school. Freshman year held a host of uncomfortable, nervous and intimidating moments, but this one will always be etched in my mind. His voice reverberated with age and experience and authority, and his words struck my timid heart with surprise and self-doubt.

“Everyone is a theologian.”

Person - View - God—whether - Years - Belief

He went on to explain that every person possesses a theology—a view of God—whether they know it or not. He contended that we, even at 18 and 19 years old, had a belief system regarding God, the Word, the church and other things. We had picked up on teachings, let suggested dispositions settle into our hearts, allowed subtle theologies sink into our minds. “Every one of you is a theologian,” he repeated, “but are you good ones?”

In little time, he became a favorite professor. I ate up what he taught, I asked questions, I requested resources because he was right: I did have a view of God, I was a theologian, but I had not taken the time to be a good one.

You Are a Theologian, too.

I have called this freshmen experience to mind several times over the years. At times when I was exposed to a new conversation, times when I went on a rant of opinions but realized I had studied little on the topic, and times when I couldn’t reconcile two co-existing values in my heart I have revisited the question. Because the question isn’t, Am I a theologian? But, Since I AM a theologian, how can I be a good one?

The same is true for you. You don’t have to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!