Brockmire Finale: EP Reflects on Jim's Sobriety, a Post-Peak America and the 'Emotional Crescendo' of Season 3

TVLine | 5/22/2019 | Ryan Schwartz
Click For Photo: https://pmctvline2.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/brockmire-season-3-episode-8-hank-azaria.jpg?w=620

Cable TV Renewal Scorecard: What's Returning? What's Cancelled?

In Wednesday’s Brockmire finale, Jim and Gabby finally got a chance to call their first regular-season MLB game, only to be confronted by unexpected protestors at the hands of bigot Art Newlie. Just about everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong, but Jim managed to come out the other side without throwing away his sobriety.

Joel - Church-Cooper - Evolution - Brockmire - Title

Below, showrunner Joel Church-Cooper reflects on the evolution of Brockmire and its title character, the significance of Jim’s relationships with Gabby and Matt the Bat, and Season 3’s “emotional crescendo.”

TVLINE | This year’s arc really started at the end of last season, when Jim decided to clean up his act. Heading into Season 3, did you have any concerns that this new and somewhat improved Jim would alter the DNA of the show?

No… - Show - Man - Country - Thesis

No… This show is about a man who gets better, as a country gets worse… If that’s our thesis, a part of that has to be him reckoning with his own demons in some way and becoming sober.

TVLINE | Was it always the plan to strip Jim of his vices?

Lot - Things - Funny - Drug - Alcohol

A lot of things that I liked and found funny were not necessarily the drug [and alcohol] humor, which to me was a crutch that I could lean on to get laughs. Eventually it was going to get old, and before it got there, I wanted to change it.

TVLINE | So there was never a version of the finale where Jim took that drink?

Sobriety - Storyline - Route - Drama

That’s normally where the sobriety storyline goes, [and] I didn’t want to do that. That would have been the predictable route, to try to wring drama out of “Is he or isn’t he going to go back?,” and I just wasn’t interested in that.

TVLINE | What was your overall goal with the Season 3...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TVLine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The American Government, working tireless for everyone, except Americans.