‘Brightburn’ Director David Yarovesky on How His Mother Inspired This Superhero Horror Movie [Interview]

/Film | 5/22/2019 | Eric Vespe
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/Brightburn-clip.jpg

This weekend sees the release of Brightburn, a movie that flew mostly under the radar until they dropped their first trailer and people realized the little genre movie James Gunn was producing was a superhero horror film.

The story follows young Brandon (Jackson A. Dunn), who crashed to Earth as a baby and was raised by Elizabeth Banks and David Denman as their own. He begins to discover he has superpowers, but unlike other similar origin stories there’s something not exactly right with Brandon, which becomes even more troubling now that he can fly and shoot lasers out of his eyes.

Director - David - Yarovesky - Hour - Lot

I was able to talk with director David Yarovesky for half an hour and we dove into a lot of interesting stuff, like the inherant parallels between superhero stories and horror stories, the striking design and execution of Brandon’s mask and how this gory, R-rated movie is ultimately a bizarre love letter to his mother.

You’ve directed a low budget feature before this, The Hive, and have made a ton of music videos, including the Guardians Inferno video, so it’s been a long road to Brightburn, your first studio-released movie. Can you talk a little about the road you took to get to this point?

Road - Work - Lead - Something - Music

You summed it up pretty nicely. There’s been a long road of work that’s lead here. I’ve done something like eighty music videos, commercials, I did a movie called The Hive, which swallowed a good two to three years of my life and then Guardians Inferno for Disney.

Also there this, which is funny because you wouldn’t think it’d go on that list, but I did the VR experience for The Belko Experiment. That felt like another step on the road because it was me working with a studio, pitching them something creative, walking them through it, blowing through...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!