Outrage as Harriet Tubman will not appear on the $20 bill next year

Mail Online | 5/22/2019 | Valerie Edwards For Dailymail.com;Reuters
Mijac (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/23/01/13839112-0-image-a-21_1558571042479.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/05/22/4199031904200342875/1024x576_MP4_4199031904200342875.mp4

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has sparked outrage from lawmakers after announcing that American hero Harriet Tubman will not appear on the $20 bill as planned for 2020.

The US Treasury will not introduce a redesigned $20 bill picturing escaped slave and abolitionist Tubman next year, Mnuchin said on Wednesday.

Treasury - Department - President - Andrew - Jackson

In 2016, the Treasury Department said it would replace former President Andrew Jackson's image on the front of the bill with that of Tubman by 2020, along with redesigns of the $5 and $10 bill.

Democratic Rep Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts, grilled Mnuchin on the status of the redesign of the $20, $10, & $5 bills proposed during the Obama Administration at a hearing of the House Financial Services Committee Wednesday morning.

Pressley - Mnuchin - Redesign - Deadline - Mnuchin

When Pressley asked Mnuchin whether or not the redesign will be complete by the 2020 deadline, Mnuchin said he was not focused on making any changes to their imagery.

Mnuchin made it clear that the 'primary reason we've looked at redesigning the currency is for counterfeiting issues' and not to change the current imagery in honor of one of the bravest black heroes in American history.

'We - Security - Feature - Redesign - Goal

'We will meet the security feature redesign (goal) in 2020. The imagery feature will not be an issue that comes up until most likely 2026,' Mnuchin told lawmakers.

'It is not a decision that is likely to come until way past my term, even if I serve a second term for the president, so I am not focused on that at the moment,' Mnuchin added.

Mnuchin - Bill - Features - Bill - Features

Mnuchin said the new $20 bill features will not come out until 2028, but the $10 and $50 bill will come out with new features beforehand.

He declined to tell lawmakers in the hearing if he supported putting Tubman on the bill.

President - Donald - Trump - Inclusion - Tubman

President Donald Trump has called the inclusion of Tubman...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!