5 KEY QUESTIONS YOU SHOULD ASK IF YOUR CHURCH ISN’T GROWING

CareyNieuwhof.com | 4/25/2014 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://i0.wp.com/careynieuwhof.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/shutterstock_1077839543.jpg?fit=1000,563&ssl=1

Chances are you didn’t get into leadership to see your church stop accomplishing its mission.

One of the primary missions of the local church is to reach new people with Christ’s love, which, naturally, implies growth.

Church - Organization - Seasons - Growth - Stops

But almost every church (and almost every organization) faces seasons in which growth stops. Some haven’t seen growth in years…or decades.

I was on a call with some leaders recently from a large growing church who told me that last year was the first time in 15 years they hadn’t grown. They’re addressing it and are back on track, but it was a tough year.

Church - Leadership - Years - Growth - Year

I can relate. I have been in church leadership for 19 years. We seen growth almost every year (the majority of which has been from previously unchurched people), but there were two periods in which we stalled out. Those are tough seasons for leaders.

Ideally you’d be asking questions before you hit a slump, but life isn’t that simple, is it?

Slump

So if you’re in a slump or see one coming, what do you do?

One of the best things any leader can do when they’re in a tough spot is to stop making assumptions and start asking questions. Our assumptions got us to where we are, but they won’t necessarily get us where we need to go.

Questions - Leader - Church

Here are 5 telling questions every leader can ask when their church stops growing:

1. IS OUR SENSE OF MISSION WHITE HOT?

Churches - Sense - Mission - Piece - Paper

Effective churches have a white hot sense of mission. It’s far more than a piece of paper on a wall or something the board recites at annual meetings, it lives daily in the soul of countless people in the congregation. It motivates all the action in the organization. It consumes people.

Often a church that has stopped growing has lost the urgency behind it’s mission. This is doubly sad in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CareyNieuwhof.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: