Blitz Films’ Eryl Cochran Talks About Indie Film in Challenging Market

Variety | 5/22/2019 | Carole Horst
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/eryl-cochran-1.jpg?crop=0px,229px,5325px,3000px&resize=700,393

Eryl Cochran heads production & development at production and financing shingle Blitz Films, where she works alongside company founders, filmmakers Nikolay and Sergey Sarkisov. Blitz, launched in 2018, is carving out a niche in the indie world with an eye for emerging talent. Blitz’s slate includes “Show Me What You Got,” directed by cinematographer Svetlana Cvetko; “Let’s Scare Julie to Death,” a one-take film directed by first-time helmer Jud Cremata; and “Embattled,” written by David McKenna (“American History X”), directed by Nikolay Sarkisov and starring Stephen Dorff. It’s also in development in TV series “Sultana,” set during the Ottoman Empire.

Why start a company now, when the indie marketplace is so challenging?

Sense - Lot - Stories - Topics - Worlds

There was the sense that there were a lot of stories that weren’t being told. It was wanting to address these topics and open these worlds and make them accessible. And we were not afraid of taking chances getting behind projects that we truly believe in.

Artist Andrew Levitas Tackles Corporate Greed in Johnny Depp Starring 'Minamata'

Project

When you decide to pursue a project, what are you looking for?

They need to be a couple things. They need to be unique, they need to be commercially viable and they have to have something to say.

Slate - Mandate

What’s on your slate that fulfills this mandate?

I would say the three projects we’ve done in the past year, whether it’s “Show Me What You Got,” which challenges relationship taboos, whether it’s “Sultana,” which opens up the Muslim culture in a time when there’s a lot of negativity being generated towards it, or “Embattled,” which is written by David McKenna who wrote “American History X” and which...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!