Surprised scientists find baby sharks are eating your favorite birds

CNET | 5/21/2019 | Amanda Kooser
penaert (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/M8jjoZOtQQXKA-XnMCJnBYwG8zw=/756x567/2019/05/20/bc511f09-d0ff-4c0f-8e08-188717285cc5/sharksbarf.jpg

And this, kids, is how you collect the contents of a tiger shark's stomach.

Woodpeckers, sparrows and doves, oh my. The remains of these land-loving birds have all appeared in an unlikely place: the stomachs of baby tiger sharks. DNA analysis of "shark barf" shows the young sea predators have some unexpected dining options.

Tiger - Sharks - Meal - Snatch - Sharks

"Tiger sharks will see an easy meal and snatch it up, but I was surprised to learn that the sharks were eating songbirds -- I assumed that they'd be seabirds," said study co-author Kevin Feldheim with the Field Museum in Chicago.

These songbird feathers came out of a shark's tummy.

Scientists - Mississippi - State - University - Field

Scientists from Mississippi State University and the Field Museum led a study on baby tiger shark eating habits published this week in the journal Ecology.

The museum refers to tiger sharks as "the garbage cans of the sea." They've been known to eat everything from albatrosses to rubber tires.

Barf - Baby - Tiger - Sharks - Researchers

So how do you collect the barf of baby tiger sharks? You get some researchers together, go to the Gulf of Mexico, catch sharks, pump their stomachs and then let...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!