God of Hearth and Home

Blog & Mablog | 5/20/2019 | Douglas Wilson
Emzah92 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dougwils.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Hearth-and-Home.jpg

INTRODUCTION:

Please allow me to begin with the outrageous statement. I will make all suitable and needed qualifications later. Stop complaining already.

Understood - Institution - Marriage - Gospel - Form

Rightly understood, the institution of marriage is foundational to the gospel, and it is a form of idolatry to deny this.

I want to set this claim alongside the increasingly popular idea that traditionalist Christians have made an “idol out of the family,” and I want to compare and contrast these claims. But to get to the edifying conclusion—which involves lots of babies—you will have bear with me for a few moments.

Christians - Image - Order - Kind - Practice

We know as Christians that we are not supposed to carve or paint an image in order to bow down before it. This kind of practice is natural to the natural man, and we are to avoid it carefully as it is something that is deeply appealing to the flesh. The message of the Bible is clear on this kind of idolatry. Put away all such idols, and have nothing to do with them.

“And when Asa heard these words, and the prophecy of Oded the prophet, he took courage, and put away the abominable idols out of all the land of Judah and Benjamin, and out of the cities which he had taken from mount Ephraim, and renewed the altar of the Lord, that was before the porch of the Lord” (2 Chron. 15:8).

Idols - God - Reformation - Revival - Idols

These are what we might call idols, straight up. When God grants reformation and revival, we do more than simply stop praying to such idols. We don’t leave them up to make things easier for future archeologists. It is not sufficient to simply make an attitude adjustment, while leaving the statues in place. No, the Baals must come down. We must deep six them.

“And it came to pass the same night, that the Lord said unto him,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Blog & Mablog
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: