The Benefits and Drawbacks of Following a Parenting Method

Tim Challies | 5/20/2019 | Staff
Firefang (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.challies.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/lightstock_167780_small_user_493488.jpg

Some parents embark on the great task of raising a child already convinced of a particular parenting method. They’ve done the research, read the books, scoured the forums, and have made up their minds. Other parents embark on the great task of raising a child without having put any substantial thought into methodology. They haven’t completed the hours of research, haven’t read the books, haven’t scoured the forums, and basically intend to learn as they go. What’s remarkable to me is that parents from both camps can be successful. I expect we’ve all known wonderful parents who have raised wonderful kids through following—or not following—a particular method. And I expect we’ve all known parents whose chaotic parenting practically begged for a method or parents whose too-rigid parenting actually brought harm to their children.

I was recently doing some research on the topic of family and encountered Andreas Kostenberger’s thoughts on the benefits and drawbacks of following parenting methods. I found that his thoughts are quite similar to mine. Here’s my summary of the advantages and disadvantages of following a particular parenting method.

Confidence - Parents - Plan - Purpose - Parenting

First, following a method gives confidence to the parents that they have a plan and a purpose in their parenting. By researching, learning, and implementing a method, parents will have an overall plan and purpose in mind, and hopefully one that is deeply grounded in biblical principles. They will know their calling and know what they hope to accomplish in and through their children.

Second, following a method provides predictability and consistency. Parents will be unified in their overall approach to parenting, and be unified in the nitty-gritty of parenting, like laying down expectations and responding to children’s good or poor behavior. Children will be confident in the expectations that are upon them.

Third - Parents - Others

Third, following a method binds parents together with others...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Tim Challies
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Satan's greatest desire is to convince the world he doesn't exist, and he has quite nearly succeeded.