‘Child’s Play’ Director Lars Klevberg Reveals How He Changed Chucky for the Reboot

Collider | 5/18/2019 | Tommy Cook
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/childs-play-reboot-chucky.jpg

Child’s Play has gone through several different iterations, reinventing itself through the decades: The original 80s film (a fairly straight horror film) gradually became more comedy-centric, culminating in the outlandish Seed of Chucky. Then the series went old-school with two Direct-To-Video sequels that harkened back to Hitchcock & DePalma. Now, though, the Child’s Play reboot has brought a modern twist to the franchise, forgoing the original series mythology and turning Chucky into a malfunctioning AI doll. With this simple change, director Lars Klevberg hopes to make Chucky a more sympathetic character. He’s no longer an evil Voodoo-practicing serial killer, but something more akin to ‘Frankenstein’s Monster.’ Think of the reboot instead as Chucky’s existential crisis.

In the following on-set interview with director Lars Klevberg, he discusses how his version of Child’s Play differs from the original, Chuck’s new motivations, and his inspiration for the reboot. For the full interview, read below, and for a full rundown of what I learned on set, click here.

Note - Below - Interview - Clarity

Of note: The below interview has been cleaned up for clarity.

Q: How does this version of Child’s Play differ from the original?

Lars - Klevberg - Child - Play - Draft

Lars Klevberg: When I got sent the [Child’s Play] draft, I didn’t know anything about [the script]. But it didn’t take me long to figure out that this story had something different. It wasn’t a haunted serial killer doll; it was an AI… It was a refreshing idea. It was so smart and [felt of] the time. It integrates the AI [conceit] into Chucky’s transformation and builds everything around that.

The first film was about child consumerism, so is the reboot more about the dangers of technology?

Klevberg - Consumerism - One - Deal - AI

Klevberg: It’s still dealing with consumerism in this one as well; it just isn’t quite as big a deal. But it’s not about the AI itself. That’s not what scary about this...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Been there, done that, twice...