Parents confront 'Champagne Charlie' banker who mowed down Royal Navy recruit son

Mail Online | 5/17/2019 | Harry Howard For Mailonline
maddyb7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/17/18/13630316-0-image-a-9_1558113755074.jpg

The parents of a Royal Navy recruit whose body was dragged more than 100 yards after he was run over told the banker who drove into him that they will never forgive him before he walked free from court.

Wayne Davies, 31, struck James 'Hodge' Edwards in his Audi in a 4am collision in Stockport in March 2017, dragging his body 105 yards.

Moments - Prison - Sentence - Mr - Edward

Moments before he was given a suspended prison sentence, Mr Edward's devastated parents, Glyn and Jane, confronted Davies in court, telling him, 'We will never forgive you'.

After he was spared prison Mr and Mrs Edwards admitted they were 'gutted' he hadn't been jailed.

Davies - Charlie - Bin - Bag

Davies, known as regarded 'champagne Charlie', claimed he thought he'd hit a bin bag.

The court heard Davies was driving home at 4am in his Audi A5 Quattro with a woman he had met in Manchester city centre when he struck James 'Hodge'.

Edwards - Middle - Road - Night

Edwards, 22, who was lying in the middle of road after a night out of his own.

Mr Edwards suffered fatal injuries when he was hit and then dragged for 105 yards under the Audi. His horrified girlfriend witnessed the tragic incident.

Davies - Police - Bin - Bag

Davies drove away and later told police he thought he had hit a bin bag.

Before being sentenced, his victim's mother Jane Edwards, 50, a former practice nurse, stood in the witness box and looked over at the defendant as she delivered a withering attack.

'It - Mother - Nightmare - Child - Nightmare

'It's every mother's worse nightmare to lose a child and this nightmare has happened to me.

'A part of me has died and I can never get this back,' she told the hearing, describing her son as as 'kind considerate and loving son loved by all with a beautiful smile'.

Smile - Actions - Person - Mrs - Edwards

His smile was 'something [I] will never see again because of the selfish actions of one person', Mrs Edwards...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!