Charlie Daniels: Forty Years Since ‘The Devil Went Down to Georgia’ and Looking Forward

CNS News | 5/17/2019 | Staff
emilia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/charlie_daniels_and_american_flag_78.jpg

Forty years ago, the band and I were engaged in intense writing and rehearsal mode, creating and preparing material for the first project we would be doing with our new producer John Boylan.

We were excited about working with John. It would be a new direction for us, working with a producer who had a much broader and current overlook at the music business and what kind of records it would take to get the major market radio play that could raise the profile of the band and push albums into serious sales.

Success - Fire - Mountain - Foundation - Paths

We had already had major success with “Fire on The Mountain,” which had set the foundation and the paths we wanted to take, but our next album, “Nightrider,” and subsequent projects had only moderate success and had fallen far short of garnering the attention we needed to take another career step up the ladder.

I met with John when we were doing a concert in Los Angeles. We talked, and I’ll never forget what he said about thinking that he knew how to help us cut the kind of albums that could get the kind of mass air play across the country we were looking for.

John - Boylan - Motto - Producer - Brainchild

John Boylan’s motto is, “I’m an obstetric producer. I deliver your brainchild,” which is exactly what I was looking for.

I had no desire to work with some heavy-handed, egotistical type of know it all who would try to change the style and sound of The CDB. I have always felt that we needed someone who could come in and be another member of the band, respecting our opinions, our music and the approach to how we played it.

Course - Someone - Opinion

And of course, someone whose opinion we respected.

John fit the bill perfectly, immediately making friends with the band and crew and just being one of the guys.

He would...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
The Democratic Party would be dead without the Republican Enabler Party! GOPe, fighting for Democrats since...