Heartwarming moment boy, 5, with spina bifida walks for the first time at his preschool graduation

Mail Online | 5/16/2019 | Mary Kekatos Health Reporter For Dailymail.com
magiccastlemagiccastle (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/16/19/13589196-0-image-a-46_1558032729101.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/05/16/4407210418469817696/1024x576_MP4_4407210418469817696.mp4

A five-year-old boy with spina bifida surprised his classmates and teachers when he walked at his preschool graduation ceremony for the first time.

Blake Mompher, from Prospect, Ohio, has spent most of his life in a wheelchair, and doctors had told his parents in the past that they weren't sure if he would ever walk.

Saturday - Walker - Steps - Stage - Crosswood

But on Saturday, using a walker, he took a few steps across the stage at Crosswood Preschool in Marion as his parents filmed it.

'Oh man, I can't even describe the feeling,' Megan told DailyMail.com. 'It was one of those out of body experiences like: "Am I really watching this?" Of course, I cried.'

Mom - Ultrasound - Appointment - Husband - Aric

She and her mom went in for a routine ultrasound appointment because her husband, Aric, was working three hours away.

'I knew how [ultrasounds] went from my previous two kids,' Megan said.

Technician - Mom - Something

'The technician stopped the ultrasound immediately and said: "I'll be right back". I told my mom I knew something was wrong.'

Megan's doctor told her that Blake had hydrocephalus, a condition in which excess cerebrospinal fluid builds up in the brain, and spina bifida.

Spina - Bifida - Defect - Tube - Structure

Spina bifida is a defect of the neural tube, a structure from which the brain and spinal cord form.

This leaves the spine and the nerves susceptible to trauma and damage.

Condition - Symptoms - Mild - Sufferers - Disabilities

The condition's symptoms can range from mild to severe, and leave sufferers with physical and intellectual disabilities.

Children often suffer from walking and mobility problems due to weak muscles or nerves in the legs not working properly.

Bowel - Bladder - Problems - Difficulty - Breathing

They can also experience bowel and bladder problems, difficulty breathing and swallowing, and a have higher risk of wounds.

Currently, there is no cure for spina bifida. Treatment consists of managing symptoms and preventing complications.

Babies - Bifida - Year - US - Centers

More than 1,600 babies are born with spina bifida each year in the US, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Blake...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
To despair is to turn your back on God, you can never despair.