Charlie Kirk: Senator Burr Makes Critical and Timeless GOP Mistake

Breitbart | 1/11/1944 | Staff
just-me (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.breitbart.com/media/2019/05/richard-burr-640x480-2018-ap-640x335.jpg

On Fox News Sunday, Senator Lindsey Graham (R-SC) gave Donald Trump Jr. the advice of ignoring the recent subpoena issued by Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Richard Burr (R-NC) to come and testify, again, regarding the fake news Russian collusion investigation. Senator Graham is not the only one of Senator Burr’s colleagues who has been critical of the subpoena.

Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has been dismissive of Burr’s efforts and has said that Don Jr. and the President “shouldn’t worry.” That’s in advance of any testimony.

Senator - Burr - Colleagues - Don - Jr

So why has Senator Burr decided to stand against his colleagues and subpoena Don Jr.? I’m afraid the reason is clear and the motivation as flawed as it is dated. Senator Burr wants to have his Sally Field moment with Democrat colleagues, the liberal press, and progressive activists.

Ms. Field famously made her declaration at the 1985 Oscars that the award she just received meant, “You like me. You really like me.” When you watch the old video clip you can see the sheer joy in her face in believing that a room filled with peers had just made her feel like she was one of them.

Senator - Burr - People - Policy - Senate

Senator Burr wants to be liked. He wants to feel accepted by the very people with whom he feigns to fight over policy on the Senate floor. This is common with conservatives in general, but especially with Republican politicians. It is worth asking why? Why do Republicans do things that contradict their own belief system and alienate their own party members and voters? The Bible tells us to love our enemy, but it is silent on the idea of making our enemy love us.

I believe we can find at least part of the answer if we go back to the Presidency of Franklin Delano Roosevelt. With FDR leading the rhetorical...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Breitbart
Wake Up To Breaking News!