Streaming, Theatrical and Film School: Barry Jenkins, Boots Riley and Aaron Stewart-Ahn at the Miami International Film Festival

Filmmaker Magazine | 5/14/2019 | Carlos Aguilar
Click For Photo: https://filmmakermagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/image002-628x348.jpg

by Carlos Aguilar

Three of current American independent cinema’s most prominent filmmakers recently came together at the Miami International Film Festival to impart some of the hard-earned knowledge they’ve acquired. Barry Jenkins (Moonlight, If Beale Street Could Talk), musician, activist, and storyteller Boots Riley (Sorry to Bother You), and journalist-turned-screenwriter Aaron Stewart-Ahn (Mandy) were honored at the festival as the first trio of guests to be part of the inaugural Knight Heroes masterclass and symposium.

Ahead - Presentations - Front - Olympia - Theater

Ahead of their presentations in front of a crowded Olympia Theater in Downtown Miami, the three creators sat down with Filmmaker to discuss a wide range of topics: the recent Spielberg vs. Netflix controversy, their stance on the theatrical experience, the dangers of box office reporting, film school, failure and many other topics were candidly examined during out conversations.

I’m a cinema-going purist. I’m lucky, because I live in New York City, so I can see 35mm projection several times a week, and it’s great, it’s beautiful. I love film prints and the way they create scars and blemishes—it’s like a human body, and I love the sanctity of a movie theatre and that experience—but I just no longer see it as indivisibly the only thing that’s there. I grew up in a very small town and did not have access to great movies. I had to save gas money to see movies. Thinking outside of America, I’m really interested in the fact that what’s new—and what Spielberg is arguing against—is a chance to create a much more borderless cinema. I feel the audience out there is really global, and I want for that audience to exist. I’m much more fascinated by a movie existing, and that somebody can instantly access that it without barriers in Southeast Asia or Argentina or Russia.

Standard - Box - Office - Reporting

The standard of box office reporting...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Filmmaker Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Individuals can exist without government but government can't exist without individuals.