Rabbi: ‘New York Times has no place in our home’

WIN | 5/14/2019 | Staff
ditranian (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://worldisraelnews.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/lookstein-753x520.jpg

Time’s up for The New York Times “in any respectable home,” says the rabbi who converted Ivanka Trump to Judaism.

On Wednesday morning, May 1, a couple of hours after returning home from a glorious Passover in Israel, my wife and I called The New York Times and explained to a very respectful representative why we wanted to end 60 years of on-and-off home delivery of the paper.

Cartoon - New - York - Times - International

We told him that the cartoon that was published in The New York Times International Edition on Thursday, April 25 — depicting a guide dog with Benjamin Netanyahu’s face leading a blind, fat Donald Trump wearing dark glasses and a black kippa — crossed every boundary that separates us from virulent anti-Semitism, bigotry, and obscenity.

It exposed, in our eyes, something rotten in what used to be known as “the paper of record” and brought the Times to a level which might have been acceptable in Germany in the 1930s, but is intolerable in our world today.

Decision - Times - Twice - Years - Campaigns

The decision to dump the Times was not easy, but it was necessary. Twice during the last 25 years, I have launched campaigns to temporarily suspend delivery of The New York Times because of its unfair — a mild term — treatment of Israel in its news columns and editorial pages.

The most recent campaign was after Passover 2002, when the IDF “invaded the West Bank” to stop the explosive growth of terrorism inside Israel that had caused more than 1,000 deaths and countless injuries during the previous 12 months. Many responded to that call and also to the suggestion that synagogues stop placing paid death notices on the obituary pages of the Times — which now, as a result, are much smaller than before.

Suspension - Paper - Saturday - Sunday - Editions

After the suspension, we personally resumed receiving the paper’s Saturday and Sunday editions because of the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIN
Wake Up To Breaking News!