Catherine The Great FIRST LOOK: Helen Mirren stars as the powerful Empress in the raunchy trailer

Mail Online | 5/10/2019 | Roxy Simons For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/10/21/13356160-0-image-a-68_1557519670274.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/05/10/4651735986124834484/1024x576_MP4_4651735986124834484.mp4

Helen Mirren is playing Russia’s Catherine the Great in a new Sky Atlantic drama, set to air later this year.

And the actress, 73, starred in the explosive and raunchy first trailer for the show, named after its royal lead character, which was released on Friday.

Trailer - Helen - Speech - Needs - Reason

The trailer opens with Helen giving a powerful speech as she says: 'Something needs to change. I believe in reason, I believe in progress, and when the indomitable Russian people fight for these things then Russia, your Russia, our Russia, will be truly and eternally great.'

Embodying the Empress, she then tells Jason Clarke's Grigory Potemkin: 'Do you know what I hold in my hand, absolute power.'

Grigory - Catherine - Lover - Favourite - Court

Grigory, who was Catherine's lover and favourite at court, responds: 'Those in power must learn to be criminal.'

Clearly pleased with the military leader, the royal admits: 'Not only good looking but clever too.'

Gina - McKee - Character - Catherine - 'You

Gina McKee, who plays an as-yet-untitled character, tells Catherine: 'You can be the empress and he can be your devoted servant.'

A brief clip sees Catherine and Grigory's relationship begin to smoulder as the pair share a kiss, in contrast to the scene the royal rebukes her friend by saying: 'Do you think it’s as simple as that?'

Sparks - Empress - Consort - Place - 'I

While sparks do certainly fly between the Empress and her consort, she quickly puts him in his place as she says: 'I will not share my throne with anyone, there are unscrupulous people in Russia fortunately I’m one of them.

Bloody scenes are shown ominous armed mercenaries are seen traversing a snowy landscape, while in another scene a rebellion appears to be brewing.

Future - Lover - Pyotr - Zavadovsky - Thomas

Speaking to her future lover Pyotr Zavadovsky (Thomas Doherty), Catherine tells him in a threatening manner: 'I have survived for half a century in a world that doesn’t...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
True or False Prophet, check for God keeping seal of approval.