BBC is 'constantly on the brink of breakdown', says ex-Radio 4 boss

Mail Online | 5/9/2019 | Susie Coen Tv And Radio Reporter For The Daily Mail
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/09/22/13308478-0-image-a-30_1557437094325.jpg

The BBC is ‘constantly on the verge of having a nervous breakdown’, a former executive yesterday claimed.

Mark Damazer, who used to be controller of Radio 4, revealed the Corporation gives off a ‘self-confident’ image but that this hides its internal fractures.

Broadcaster - Lot - Time - Meeting - People

He added that the public broadcaster spent a lot of its time meeting with people who have complaints.

‘I think I got 90 per cent of the salary for doing the job and 10 per cent for holding my temper and being polite when actually you wanted to hit somebody who was complaining in a way that was unreasonable – whether it was a political spin doctor or a House of Lords lobbyist or a member of the public,’ he said.

Mr - Damazer - Controller - Radio - Director

Mr Damazer, who was the controller of Radio 4 from 2004-2010 and deputy director of BBC News from 2001-04, was speaking at the Voice of the Listener and Viewer conference in London.

He also criticised the BBC for having a ‘culture where people are expected to be Humphrys or Maitlis’ but do not the take...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!