Christina Applegate on Why She Passed on Playing Elle Woods in Legally Blonde

PEOPLE.com | 5/8/2019 | Staff
jster97 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://peopledotcom.files.wordpress.com/2019/05/christina-applegate-1-2000.jpg?crop=0px,0px,2000px,1050px&resize=1200,630

Oh my god, you guys — Legally Blonde nearly starred Christina Applegate!

The 47-year-old actress opened up on Tuesday’s Watch What Happens Live with Andy Cohen about being sent the script to the 2001 comedy to play Elle Woods, the lead role made famous by Reese Witherspoon.

Story - Script - Applegate - Time - Married

“The story’s been out there but I wasn’t actually offered it, the script came to me,” said Applegate. “But at that time, I had just gotten off of Married with Children and I felt like it was too close to what I had just been doing and I was very interested in removing myself from that.”

“I don’t regret it because Reese Witherspoon did a much better job than I ever could and she now has way more money and way more success, and so why would I even regret that?” Applegate joked.

Course - Applegate - Career - Roles - Sweetest

Of course, Applegate has had a long and successful career since, with roles in The Sweetest Thing, Anchorman, Bad Moms, Surviving Christmas, and more.

She’s now starring in the Netflix series Dead to Me opposite Linda Cardellini, who was actually in Legally Blonde playing Chutney Windham, the daughter of the deceased Hayworth Windham with a penchant for perms.

Cardellini - WWHL - Applegate - Costar - Legally

Cardellini, 43, was also on WWHL with Applegate. “You could have worked with me,” she teased her costar, after learning she had passed on Legally Blonde....
(Excerpt) Read more at: PEOPLE.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!