Women are BETTER than men at being top doctors, leading former surgeon claims

Mail Online | 5/8/2019 | Sam Blanchard Senior Health Reporter For Mailonline
jacensolo775 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/05/08/08/13233468-0-image-a-6_1557301794746.jpg

A leading former brain surgeon has claimed women make better doctors than men because they're better at communicating.

Dr Henry Marsh, a neurosurgeon at St George's Hospital in south London before he retired, made the comments at Stratford-upon-Avon Literary Festival.

Comment - Experience - Opinion - Woman - Doctor

He said: 'Although it’s a reverse sexist comment, in my experience and opinion, the average woman makes a better doctor than the average man.'

Dr Marsh admitted he hasn't always felt this way and, when he began teaching trainees 20 years ago, he was guilty of 'chauvinism' himself.

Decades - Field - Error - Thinking

But decades in the field have corrected the error of his thinking, he said.

The medical community has been beset by claims of sexism and the British Medical Association last month announced an investigation into its members.

Lots - Woman - Doctors - Lots - Men

'There’s lots of bad woman doctors and lots of good men doctors,' the 69-year-old said.

'But given that such an important part of medicine is communication and teamwork, on the whole, it’s a sexist generalisation but women tend to do it a bit better than men.

'We - Doctors - Testosterone

'We (male doctors) are all competitive and driven by testosterone.'

Dr Marsh, who now teaches at the Tooting hospital where he once worked, said women in medicine still face sexism but the situation is improving.

Pioneer - Awake - Brain - Surgery - Patients

He was a pioneer of awake brain surgery, in which patients are kept conscious and given a local anaesthetic during operations.

And Dr Marsh is now a published author of two memoirs, 'Do No Harm: Stories of Life, Death and Brain Surgery' and 'Admissions: A life in Brain Surgery'.

Trainees - Women - 'I - Department

'About a third of my trainees are women,' he said. 'I don’t think any of them, at least in my department, feel prejudiced against.

'But...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!