Christina Applegate, Linda Cardellini Break Down Their Grief and Unlikely Friendship on ‘Dead to Me’

Variety | 5/3/2019 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/dtm_106_unit_00283_r-1.jpg?crop=0px,346px,6000px,3381px&resize=700,393

SPOILER ALERT: Do not read if you have not yet watched “Dead to Me,” streaming now on Netflix.

By the time Liz Feldman’s dark comedy “Dead to Me” completed its 10-episode first season, it took its characters through the stages of grief not only for the deceased loved ones in their lives, but in a sense for the new friendship they formed during the process, as well.

Widow - Jen - Christina - Applegate - Series

Recent widow Jen (Christina Applegate) starts the series as a “tough ****,” as Applegate herself puts it, whom Judy, portrayed by Linda Cardellini, says “will not take no for an answer.” Judy works her way into Jen’s life after “bumping into her” at a grief group. What starts as a seemingly sweet new bond between two people who have experienced a lot of loss very quickly proves to be something much deeper as it is revealed — first to the audience, but eventually to Jen, too — that Judy was the one responsible for Jen’s husband’s death. And still, when things go south for Jen, and Judy’s ex Steve (James Marsden) ends up dead in Jen’s pool, Judy is the one she calls.

“She has no one else, and guess what? They’re on an equal playing field now,” Applegate tells Variety. “She’s been vulnerable, and now she’s like, ‘Here we are. Now I f—ing need you.'”

Jen - Truth - Judy - Conversation - Steve

As angry as Jen was when she learned the truth about Judy, the conversation with Steve redirected some of that anger. She saw that Judy wasn’t completely at fault for not stopping after she hit her husband in the road, and the relationship she had developed with Judy leading up to the moment the truth came out could not be erased so neatly.

“Loss is loss, and Jen’s heart has been broken open a little bit,” Applegate says. “All of that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!