Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/30/21/12924146-0-image-a-17_1556657136435.jpg
An Indiana family was charged more than $142,000 in medical bills after their daughter was bitten by a snake at summer camp.
In July 2018, Oakley Yoder, then nine, was with her fellow campers at Shawnee National Forest in Jackson Falls, Illinois, when a snake bit a toe on her right foot, reported Kaiser Health News.
Camp - Counselors - Responders - Hospital - Air
Camp counselors rushed her to first responders, who suggested she be taken to the hospital via air ambulance.
Oakley was taken to St Vincent Evansville hospital in Indiana, where she was given four doses of antivenom for what doctors believe was a copperhead snake bite.
Parents - Joe - Perry - Sherri - Yoder
Her parents, Joe Perry and Sherri Yoder, were shocked when they received astronomically high healthcare bills, including $55,000 for the air ambulance and $67,000 for the medicine that saved their daughter's life.
'I was really scared,' Oakley told Kaiser Health News about the bite. 'I thought that I could either get paralyzed or could actually die.'
Camp - Counselor - Ride - Camp - Van
A camp counselor gave her a piggy back ride to the camp van, which drove Oakley to a parking lot, where first responders were waiting.
It was from there that she was picked up and transported to St Vincent Evansville, where she was given four vials of antivenom.
Oakley - Riley - Hospital - Children - Indianapolis
Oakley, now 10, was subsequently transferred to Riley Hospital for Children in Indianapolis for observation, where her parents met her.
'It was a major comfort for me to realize: "OK, we're getting the best care possible",' Perry told Kaiser Health News, after doctors told him his daughter was going to be fine.
But that comfort quickly...
Wake Up To Breaking News!