Initiative Aims To Combat Climate Change By Charging Restaurant Customers An Extra 1% On Their Bills

sacramento.cbslocal.com | 4/24/2019 | Staff
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cbssacramento.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/climate-change-charge.jpg?w=1280

SACRAMENTO (CBS13) — Changes could be coming to your favorite restaurant thanks to a statewide initiative just being announced Wednesday, called Restore California Renewable Restaurants.

Restaurant owners have the option of charging customers an additional 1% on their bills that would go to help stop climate change. Payments will be gathered by the California Air Resources Board and spent on implementing carbon plans on farms and ranches across California, boosting healthy soil, according to the Perrenial Farming Initiative.

People - Bill - Christopher - Barnum-Dann - Owner

“There’s always going to be the people who say, why is this on the bill? I don’t want to pay it. I don’t care what it’s for. I don’t want to pay it,” Christopher Barnum-Dann, the owner of Localis, said.

Talking to people in Sacramento Tuesay, they are split on the idea.

Climate - Resident

“I wouldn’t be interested in doing that. Leave the climate alone,” one resident said.

“We’re not asking our fixed-income people to pay that on their property tax. We’re asking that of someone who had made a choice...
(Excerpt) Read more at: sacramento.cbslocal.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!