Black churches torched in arson attack to rebuild in hope after public donates more than $2M

www.christianpost.com | 4/26/2019 | Staff
TaylorShaye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.christianpost.com/files/original/thumbnail/23/09/230922.png

Three historically black churches in Louisiana that were razed by fire in racially motivated arson attacks in recent weeks will rebuild better sanctuaries than they had before thanks to an outpouring of donations from the public.

Mount Pleasant Missionary Baptist Church in Opelousas became the third historically black church over 100 years old to burn down in St. Landry Parish, in a span of 10 days earlier this month. St. Mary Baptist Church in Port Barre was the first reported church fire on March 26 while Greater Union Baptist Church in Opelousas went up in flames a week later.

Rev - Freddy - Jack - President - Seventh

“They are all confident that they’re going to rebuild better than what they had before,” the Rev. Freddy Jack, president of the Seventh District Baptist Association to which all three churches hold membership, said in an interview with The Christian Post.

“They are keeping their heads up. They are remaining positive and hopeful and because of the outpouring of love from supporters to their cause, it makes it a whole lot easier for them to be able to manage this burden. And with each and every day, every passing day it gets easier to bear,” he said.

GoFundMe - Campaign - Churches - Reluctant - Assistance

A GoFundMe campaign which the churches were at first reluctant to use to get assistance to rebuild after the fires, raised more than $2 million in less than two weeks, exceeding their initial request of $1.8 million.

For the century-old churches that were more inclined to collect donations through snail mail, they first had to overcome their distrust of online fundraising before taking the plunge with the idea that first came from a woman who called Jack after the fires seeking to help.

Lady - East - Coast - Method

“A lady called me. I think she was from up east, on the east coast somewhere. She asked me what was the method for them to contribute...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.christianpost.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: