Galaxy Fold review: Samsung's new phone reveals the promise and peril of foldable screens

CNET | 4/25/2019 | Jessica Dolcourt
Mireille (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/uOPg_0E0B147qsrUZPqX6qqGznA=/756x567/2019/04/15/5b70f1ab-efbe-4484-b6cc-9bb7b3c7c8e9/306-galaxy-fold.jpg

I knew the minute I held it that the $1,980 Galaxy Fold would be something different, something special. With a raft of screen malfunctions, it's become painfully clear how important the Galaxy Fold's screen is. It's not overstatement to say that more than other phones, foldable ones will live and die by the quality of its bendable screen, center crease or no. That is the promise -- and the peril -- that this new category embodies.

It's also no overstatement in saying that the very act of folding and unfolding the Galaxy Fold is special. It isn't enough to see that display open and close -- you have to feel it for yourself. Bending a screen is a visceral action that for me feels completely natural and right. And after doing everything from watching videos to reading the news to writing emails on the phone's enormous 7.3-inch screen, you'll never want to go back to "only" a 6-inch display again. The promise -- and peril -- of foldable phones is real.

Nobody - Screens - Reviewers - Phones - Samsung

Nobody expected the screens on some reviewers' phones to malfunction so quickly, or for Samsung to postpone the Fold's April 26 sale date for weeks -- until June 13 for AT&T's preorder buyers -- while it investigated what went wrong. That sucked, because the incidents cast a pall over the Fold and over the concept of foldable phones in general. I'd been superexcited to be one of the first in the world to try the Fold, but the screen meltdown let all the air out of the balloon.

Because, as the first real phone of its kind, the Galaxy Fold is so important, and because of the alarming screen developments, I've taken my time making this evaluation as thorough as possible to avoid any knee-jerk reaction. We all deserve better...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
There's no problem on the inside of a kid that the outside of a dog can't cure.