Does Junk Food Dishonor God?

Desiring God | 4/26/2019 | John Piper
baileyboo (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/does-junk-food-dishonor-god-9gz4cuod-en/landscape/does-junk-food-dishonor-god-9gz4cuod-7da1b2a8fe3157231e10419575f5e01f.jpg?ts=1556048328&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

Today we have a question about junk food. A young man writes in to ask, “Dear Pastor John, I’m from Singapore. If we are about to eat a meal we know is unhealthy, like fried chicken or fast food that will not serve our bodies like more healthy food will, should we pray and thank God for the food? Or is praying over this food a phony act because the food itself will wrong the body he gave us to care for? How should we think of gratitude and junk food?”

Giving Thanks for Junk Food?

Question - Answer - Couple - Sentences - Kind

Good question. Here’s my answer in a couple of sentences, and then I’m going to just kind of ramble. I want to talk Bible here, but that is kind of hard. You’ll see if it helps. Here’s my answer.

To the degree that you are justified in eating something, to that degree you are justified in giving thanks for it. That’s my short answer. To say it another way, to the degree that your conscience is clear in eating something, to that degree your thankfulness can be offered with a clear conscience. To put it one more way, if your heart is divided, partially approving and partially disapproving when you eat something, then your heart is going to be divided when you attempt to give thanks.

Couple - Passages - Passages - Light - Issue

I’m going to refer to just a couple of passages. See whether or not these passages shed light on the issue.

Consider the temptations of Jesus in the wilderness in Matthew 4:1–11. Satan suggests, “Turn these stones into bread. Jump off the temple. Bow down and worship me.” Now, the first two temptations are based on perfectly legitimate expectations of God’s favor. God will nourish with bread. God will keep his feet from crashing into the pavement below. The Bible says so (Deuteronomy...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: