Anita Hill cannot be satisfied with Biden's apology for mistreating her in Clarence Thomas hearings

Mail Online | 4/25/2019 | David Martosko, U.s. Political Editor For Dailymail.com
smilingbearsmilingbear (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/25/21/12724818-0-image-a-88_1556225099633.jpg

Former Vice President Joe Biden left Brandeis University professor Anita Hill unsatisfied by a half-hearted apology for how he treated her during Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas's tense 1991 nomination hearings.

Biden chaired the Senate Judiciary Committee at the time, a panel of 14 white men tasked with evaluating the he-said, she-said battle between two African-Americans.

Thomas - Hill - Recollections - Time - Colleagues

Thomas and Hill came with dramatically different recollections of their time as colleagues at the U.S. Department of Education and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Biden re-convened the hearings to hear Hill's allegations of sexual harassment from years earlier. As the hearings became must-see TV, Thomas complained that the proceedings were 'a high-tech lynching.'

Hill - New - York - Times - Biden

Now Hill tells The New York Times that when Biden called her this month to express his regret over 'what she endured' 28 years ago, his speech left her cold and, she says, didn't rise to the level of an apology.

'I cannot be satisfied by simply saying I’m sorry for what happened to you,' she said Thursday. 'I will be satisfied when I know there is real change and real accountability and real purpose.'

Biden - Campaign - Thursday - Ringmaster - Role

As Biden launched his third presidential campaign on Thursday, the ringmaster role he played in the 1991 hearings remained among the most persistent hurdles in the minds of political operatives watching from the sidelines.

'He simply has to fix this,' a veteran adviser to Democratic campaigns told DailyMail.com. 'If he's going to be the standard-bearer, he really must. Biden is our best shot at taking Trump out, so we can't have Anita Hill counter-programming him by bring back all this old stuff.

Hill - Thursday - Biden - Failure - Claim

Hill suggested Thursday that Biden's failure to support her claim Thomas sexually harassed her as a boss harmed countless other women.

The case today holds distant echoes of the more recent high court confirmation hearings for Brett...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.