Cowboys and Indians: Dismantling the Western, Settler-Colonial Worldview (PART III)

Red Letter Christians | 4/25/2019 | Randy Woodley
Click For Photo: https://www.redletterchristians.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/pachamamatips.jpg

EDITOR’S NOTE: This article on “Embedded Fallacies in the Western Worldview” is the third in a 4-part series to deconstruct the Western, settler-colonial worldview and to #ResurrectEloheh.

Dualism: Dualism is perhaps the foundational fallacy of the Western worldview and is directly linked to many of the other fallacies present. A dualistic worldview causes people to invest in the ethereal (in the spiritual/metaphysical realm) or abstract (as in academia) to a higher degree than the physical realm. Our thoughts and our theologies become disembodied.

Theologies - Importance - Christ - Work - Christ

In dualistic theologies, we neglect the importance of seeing Christ at work and being Christ at work in our earthly cultures. We tend to view certain areas of life, especially those outside the church, as secular, when in fact, Jesus taught that all of life is sacred, including both heaven and earth. In his words in Matthew 5:34 Jesus was quoting Isaiah 66:1, “Thus says the LORD, “Heaven is My throne and the earth is My footstool. Where then is a house you could build for Me? And where is a place that I may rest? (c.f. Matthew 23:22; Acts 7:49; James 5:12).

Can the Creator of all be contained in any building or any space? Dualism especially causes us to believe that God is at work uniquely in the church more than God is at work in the world which God also created. This often leads to inactivity through complacency brought on by our own pride.

Dualism - Truth - Jesus - Words - God

Dualism causes us to neglect the truth found in Jesus’ words to do God’s will “on earth as it is in heaven.” Physical/mental or physical/spiritual dualism results in there being no certainty of one whole reality but rather living into the parts as if they were the whole. Dualism creates blindness to the needs of those outside our own group or even our...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Red Letter Christians
Wake Up To Breaking News!