My phone addiction was hurting me -- here's how I finally resolved it

CNET | 4/25/2019 | Sharon Profis
k.collazi (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet2.cbsistatic.com/img/3CoZwVUg4Iz_XlbSF_3mOigPmNc=/756x567/2019/04/24/299ddbf5-f5a5-4389-8cc9-75adb19748cc/gettyimages-558175165.jpg

Owwwwwww.

I grasped the handle on my luggage and braced to lift it, but couldn't. After six hours of torture in the form of nonstop phone usage, my hands were begging for a break. If the epitome of a millennial wake-up call existed, this was it.

People - Time - Phone - Reason - Somehow

I have long known that I (and many people) spend too much time on the phone -- and probably for no good reason. Somehow, checking my inbox or swiping through Instagram for a few minutes is never enough. "Just checking something real quick" often turns into a 30-minute dopamine-fest of pretty photos, double-taps and swipes that somehow make me feel productive, when I'm not.

A 2018 Nielsen study found that US adults spend about two hours and 22 minutes per day consuming media on their devices. That number doesn't seem to include time spent messaging or, you know, randomly unlocking your phone because, who knows. For me, that all-inclusive number was starting to hover around four hours per day -- until I did something about it.

Wow

And, wow, do I feel better.

Why couldn't I put down my phone?

Google - Product - Manager - Smartphone - Slot

A former Google product manager called the smartphone a slot machine that exploits the way all our brains work: We crave dopamine (the happiness molecule), and our phones provide it. Product designers, he said in a 60 Minutes interview, design products that take advantage of this vulnerability and get us hooked.

It's really this simple: We're all Pavlov's dogs.

Smartphone - Addiction

What's wrong with smartphone addiction?

Besides the repetitive strain injury I experienced in my hand, the effects of phone addiction are mostly psychological.

Anxiety - Phone - Usage - Studies - Lot

Anxiety and phone usage continue to correlate in studies, which find that those who spend a lot of time on their phones also tend to be anxious, depressed or have low self-esteem. But just like we don't know if...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a Government intervention.
Tagged: