Galaxy Fold review: Samsung's foldable phone lives and dies by its screen

CNET | 4/24/2019 | Jessica Dolcourt
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet4.cbsistatic.com/img/uOPg_0E0B147qsrUZPqX6qqGznA=/756x567/2019/04/15/5b70f1ab-efbe-4484-b6cc-9bb7b3c7c8e9/306-galaxy-fold.jpg

I knew from the moment I held it that the $1,980 Galaxy Fold, the world's first major foldable phone, would be something different, something special. Feeling the screen open and close was such a visceral action that felt natural and right. And after doing everything from watching videos and reading the news to writing emails on that enormous 7.3-inch screen, you'll never want to go back to "only" a 6-inch display again. The promise -- and peril -- of a foldable phone are real. And it's all in the screen, center crease or no.

We knew there would be growing pains, but nobody expected the screens on some reviewers' phones to malfunction so quickly, or for Samsung to postpone the Fold's April 26 sale date for weeks -- until June 13 for AT&T's preorder buyers -- while it investigated what went wrong. That sucked, because the incidents cast a pall over the Fold and over the concept of foldable phones in general. I had been super excited to be one of the first in the world to try the Fold, but the screen meltdown let all the air out of the balloon.

Galaxy - Fold - Phone - Kind - Screen

Because the Galaxy Fold is so important as the first real phone of its kind, and because of the alarming screen developments, I've taken my time making this evaluation as thorough as possible to avoid any knee-jerk reaction. We all deserve better than that. I've used the Fold every day for more than a week in every way a person can use a phone, even (gasp!) to make calls. I ran two overnight battery drain tests, peered at its screen from every angle and typed until my hands ached.

Although the early production review unit that Samsung gave me never so much as flickered, CNET will hold off giving the device...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.