Don’t Just Give Them the Keys: Teens and Technology

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 4/24/2019 | Jason Ho
red815 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/BlogPic-4.24.2019.png

BCC Staff Note: Today’s blog is the second article of a three-part series on the BCC Grace and Truth website written by biblical counselors at Lighthouse Community Church. The mission of Lighthouse is to make gospel-centered disciples who exalt and proclaim Christ. Biblical counseling enables the church to fulfill that mission in the lives of believers who are overwhelmed with suffering and sin as they regularly engage in both formal and informal conversations that admonish, encourage, and give hope (1 Thess. 5:14; Col. 1:28).

“My BFF got one two years ago! Why can’t I have an iPhone?!”

Dad - Minutes

“Dad, I texted you like five minutes ago! Why aren’t you texting me back?”

“Hold on! I need to snap this selfie first.”

Households - Media/technology - War - Parents - Teens

In some households, there seems to be an iPhone/social media/technology war going on. Parents and teens don’t seem to be on the same page. What is going on? What is really at issue here? In order to shepherd teens wisely, parents need to understand that this new age of technology brings many benefits but is fraught with dangers not previously seen before.

Parents of teenagers today grew up in a time when Christian values were still respected and the technological information age was at its infancy (personal computers and cable TV). In contrast, today’s adolescents are facing a culture that has become openly hostile towards Christian standards and where communication flows 24/7 at hyperspeed through smartphones via social media. It may feel like an uphill battle as parents try to teach their children a Christian worldview amidst this never-before-seen ubiquitous cacophony of post-Christian thought.

Look - Questions - Teen - Cain - Abel

Let’s look at three key questions that every teen has wrestled with since Cain and Abel in order to see what today’s culture is preaching, what role technology plays, and how parents can navigate through these choppy waters.

Child of God – All...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!