Fay McKenzie, Gene Autry's Co-Star in 5 Movie Westerns, Dies at 101

The Hollywood Reporter | 2/19/1918 | Mike Barnes
Click For Photo: https://cdn1.thr.com/sites/default/files/2019/04/fay_mckenzie_with_gene_autry-h_2019_0.jpg

She also played the host of a wacky Hollywood bash in 'The Party,' directed by her neighbor, Blake Edwards.

Fay McKenzie, who starred alongside Gene Autry in five Westerns and appeared in five films for director Blake Edwards, has died. She was 101.

McKenzie - Sleep - April - Los - Angeles

McKenzie died in her sleep on April 16 in Los Angeles, a relative, Bryan Cooper, announced.

After a brief marriage to tough-guy actor Steve Cochran in the 1940s, McKenzie wed screenwriter Tom Waldman, who worked on the screenplays for the Edwards films High Time (1960), The Party (1968) and Trail of the Pink Panther (1982).

Party - McKenzie - Alice - Clutterbuck - Hostess

In The Party, McKenzie played Alice Clutterbuck, the hostess of the film's chaotic bash, and she also appeared for the director in Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961) — in another memorable party scene — Experiment in Terror (1962) and S.O.B. (1981). She and Edwards were neighbors in Malibu.

At Republic Studios, McKenzie starred with Autry and performed duets with the legendary "Singing Cowboy" in Down Mexico Way (1941), Sierra Sue (1941), Home in Wyomin' (1942), Heart of the Rio Grande (1942) and Cowboy Serenade (1942).

Amount - Fan - Mail - Down - Mexico

"I got an enormous amount of fan mail [after Down Mexico Way,] so we were teamed from then on!" she recalled in an undated interview on the Western Clippings website. "I loved working with Gene, he was terrific! I could sing, and that was something the earlier girls couldn't do. … I could do more than smile and wave at the cowboy."

Born in Hollywood on Feb. 19, 1918, McKenzie was a daughter of actors Eva and Bob McKenzie. She was cradled in the arms of Gloria Swanson in the silent film Station Content (1918) when she was 10 weeks old and then...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Hollywood Reporter
Wake Up To Breaking News!