The 5 Must-Have Adults on Any Mission Trip

YouthMinistry.com | 4/23/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://2e2kda1m9pm41j3ob93smm8e-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/upload/ymprod/Working_12A9925.jpg

We’ve been here before… Our annual summer mission trip is just around the corner and we’re pulling leaders out of our….directories. How did this happen again this year? I was so good at planning ahead. Then badda bing, badda boom, it’s May!

Well, before you do anything you’ll end up regretting, pray. Right—I know you’ve already been praying, and “pray first” is a Christian cliche. But the truth is, when it’s crunch time, panic often takes over, and dependence on Jesus is the first thing to go. Jesus has studied your trip and knows all the in’s and out’s—but “you do not have because you do not ask” (James 4;2).

Midst - Asking - Problem - Lens - Types

So, in the midst of your asking, try looking at your problem through a new lens. Consider the “types” of leaders you need before you scour through the names. Knowing what you need can better direct who you need to ask.

What type of work will you be doing?

Home

How far will you be traveling from home?

What types of personalities would lend additional cohesion to your adult leader team?

Marginally - Connected - Parent - Parent - Fringe

1. The Marginally Connected Parent: Find a parent you know…kind of. They’ve been on the fringe of your ministry for a while—amiable, but uninvolved. Mission trips are a great way to get reticent parents to connect with the ministry (and Jesus!) in a deeper way. And sometimes the fringe benefit is them getting to see their kid in a different light, and vice versa!

I had a dad who would always arrive early to pick up his freshman son. Not early like, “C’ mon kid, I got things to do,” but more like, “I kinda dig watching all this from a safe distance—it looks fun.” After building a relational foundation through conversation over a few weeks, and getting to know his faith story, I was confident he’d...
(Excerpt) Read more at: YouthMinistry.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: