RCL: Must be Thomas

RevGalBlogPals | 4/23/2019 | Staff
bab_ohhbab_ohh (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://revgalblogpals.files.wordpress.com/2019/04/exploration-2564861_1280.jpg

It’s the first Sunday after Easter, so it must be time for Thomas. Of course, there are other options if Thomas doesn’t have appeal for you. There’s Peter defending his right, and the rights of the other apostles to preach Jesus. There are the Psalms full of praise and thanksgiving. There’s the Alpha and Omega of Revelation. There are sermons within these texts, too. However, I always feel compelled to preach Thomas.

I have sympathy for Thomas, but I’m more like the others who were gathered in fear, trembling and grief behind locked doors. They shut themselves in and the world out. They were afraid for their lives, maybe afraid of losing what little hope they had left. For whatever reason, they sent Thomas out into the world. Maybe they needed coffee or bread. Maybe Thomas needed a break from the heaviness that was locked in the room with them. Unfortunately for him, he was out when Jesus came in.

Thomas - Tales - Week - Times - Did

Then Thomas had to listen to their tales for the next week. How many times did they say, “You should have been there?” or “You should have seen him, he looked so different.” Or “Did you see those wounds?” Thomas had to listen to them all week. This is where my sympathy switches to Thomas. He is having none of it. He won’t believe in Resurrection until he sees it for himself. He needs to see, hear, and touch before he will believe that Jesus lives. You know, I’m with him.

I need to see, hear, and touch the evidence that the Body of Christ is alive and well today. It seems we are more likely to be locked in our buildings afraid of what might come, afraid of losing what we have, afraid that everything has changed or will change very soon....
(Excerpt) Read more at: RevGalBlogPals
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Those who stand for nothing fall for anything." - Alexander Hamilton