‘Sadie’ Director Megan Griffiths Tells Us How to Get People to Care About Your Indie Film

/Film | 4/23/2019 | David Chen
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/sadie-movie.jpg

Getting a film made is one of the most challenging experiences anyone can go through. From writing the script, to securing the financing, to picking a crew, to casting the film, to finally shooting and editing it, filmmaking requires a huge diversity of technical and creative skills.

But in today’s media-saturated world, it’s arguably just as hard to convince people to care about your small indie film. If you have a tiny movie, how do you get it out there? What strategy do you use? What elements do you prioritize?

Chance - Writer/director - Megan - Griffiths - Problems

I had a chance to chat with writer/director Megan Griffiths about how she approached these problems for her latest film, Sadie, which is out now on home video (Disclosure: I consider Megan a friend, plus I did some behind-the-scenes photos for Sadie.). Check out the video of our interview read a transcript of the conversation. This transcript has been edited for clarity.

David: A lot of people don’t understand that when you’re making an indie film, getting the movie financed and made is only about half the battle. After you get the movie made, you need to actually get people interested to watch the movie and then deliver it to them in a format that they can actually watch it in, whether it’s video on demand or in theaters. When you finish making Sadie, what was some of the decisionmaking that went into figuring out how to distribute the movie?

Megan - SXSW - Offers - None - Disconnect

Megan: We premiered at SXSW in 2018 and we did receive these traditional offers and none of them really excited us that much. There felt like a disconnect in the conversations we were having between us and the distributors about how to put the movie out and the way to frame the conversation around the movie that just went against the whole reason that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!