Ethical taxidermist aims to 'honor' the lives of roadkill

Mail Online | 4/22/2019 | Dailymail.com Reporter
Mkgirlz (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/22/16/12577930-0-image-a-85_1555948131468.jpg

A beauty school dropout who preferred to work on dead animals than live people became an ethical taxidermist, but she admits that people are still surprised to see a female working in the industry.

Owner of Bunny Lane Taxidermy, Meghan Cunningham, 38, from Mississippi, once worked in the beauty industry but after seeing a taxidermy tutorial she became more interested in creating looks for animals rather than people.

Beauty - School - Meghan - Taxidermy - Art

In 2012, while at beauty school, Meghan saw a tutorial for taxidermy, and she became intrigued by the art. However, she wanted to find ways to ethically source her animals because she didn't want them to die for her hobby.

Having always had a creative background, the appeal of taxidermy lay in the sculpting opportunities. So, Meghan left beauty school and began sourcing dead wildlife to begin her new hobby.

Animals - Meghan - Roadkill - Meghan - Home

The first dead animals Meghan found were roadkill, which she still uses frequently. Meghan's home, which she shares with her husband Bryan, is located near a farm and any casualties are donated to her.

Unlike traditional taxidermists, Meghan, who regularly shares photographs of her art on her Instagram page, doesn't mount trophy animals, preferring to mount rabbits, squirrels, house cats, possums and bobcats.

Animals - Weeks

She estimates that she has mounted over 700 animals, with each one taking approximately two-and-a-half weeks to complete.

Through her work, Meghan tries to honor the life of every animal she transforms and to bring happiness to it by creating colorful sets and costumes.

Industry - Meghan - 'After - Variety - Careers

Explaining how she got into the industry, Meghan said: 'After trying a variety of careers including teaching dance and owning a coffee and pastry food truck, I went to beauty school.

'But I found myself more motivated to work on my hobby of taxidermy than working on live humans.

'I - Woman - Set - Mind - Wandering

'I was working on a woman in a set and I found my mind wandering...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!