FOLLOW SUNDAYU

SundayU Magazine | 4/22/2019 | Seth Muse
melanie7 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.sundaymag.tv/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/nordwood-themes-166423-unsplash.jpg

Communications Director is a broad title that encompasses such a wide range of responsibility in the church. It could mean graphic design, videography, creating social content, live production, office systems, database, room reservations, or website manager. I could keep going.

Because we are all uniquely gifted, it can be hard to narrow down a universal skill set for all communications directors. I think it’s because we only look for particular active skills like the ones mentioned above. Do you know Adobe Suite? Can you work a camera? Have you ever created a website before? No, I said a website, not a Wix site (High five? Anyone?).

Place - Skills - Skills - Way - Bit

What if we’re looking in the wrong place? What if active skills aren’t what we have in common, but passive skills instead? When I thought about it that way for a bit, I came up with at least six common passive skills that anyone working in church communications should have and develop.

My mother always told me that God gave me two ears and one mouth because he wanted me to listen twice as much as I spoke. I think that’s true of a Communications Director as well.

People - Pain - Points - Online - Reading

When we listen, we see how to serve our people right in the pain points. We may hear that they struggle to read the Bible daily and decide to create an online Bible reading plan. We may see that a certain hashtag is trending in our area. We would then be able to wade out into the conversation as a church and speak into a current issue.

Listening is a skill. It requires patience and humility to do well. Yet, since we are often pressed to get deliverables out quickly, we can forget that “playing on social media,” (as those who don’t understand social media call it) is actually the listening...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SundayU Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: