When Truth Doesn’t Seem to Work

Biblical Counseling Coalition | 4/22/2019 | Kim Kira
smnth28 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.biblicalcounselingcoalition.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/BlogPic-4.22.2019.png

BCC Staff Note: Today’s blog is the first article of a three-part series on the BCC Grace and Truth website written by biblical counselors at Lighthouse Community Church. The mission of Lighthouse is to make gospel-centered disciples who exalt and proclaim Christ. Biblical counseling enables the church to fulfill that mission in the lives of believers who are overwhelmed with suffering and sin as they regularly engage in both formal and informal conversations that admonish, encourage, and give hope (1 Thess. 5:14; Col. 1:28).

Have you ever experienced times in counseling where truth doesn’t seem to work? Maybe you have said, or thought:

Truth

“I have already told them that truth, but it doesn’t seem to work.”

“They already know it, they just aren’t applying it.”

“I don’t know what else to say.”

There can be many reasons why truth doesn’t seem to be “working,” but in our counseling ministry we have noticed two common reasons: 1) They are not connecting the truth of Christ to everyday life, and 2) They are not going to the truth of Christ in everyday life.

Imagine - Sally - Woman - Singleness - Love

Imagine you are counseling Sally, a woman struggling with singleness. You decide that Romans 8:38-39 would be profitable to study to encourage her to trust and rest in the love of God. At the end of your session, you tell her to write the passage on a note card and instruct her to read it every time she is tempted to feel discouraged in her singleness. When you see her the next week, she says, “It didn’t work. I was looking at my social media feed and saw that another one of my friends got engaged. I looked at my note card, but after a while I just couldn’t stop thinking about how unfair life is, how much I want to have a boyfriend, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Biblical Counseling Coalition
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do I know who I am?
Tagged: