Privilege and Resurrection: A Response to Serene Jones

Mercy Not Sacrifice | 4/21/2019 | Staff
ziggy1023 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://wp-media.patheos.com/blogs/sites/447/2017/04/empty_tomb11.jpg

On this Holy Saturday, the New York Times published an interview with Serene Jones, the president of Union Theological Seminary. In it, she says the following when asked whether she believes that Jesus was physically resurrected:

When you look in the Gospels, the stories are all over the place. There’s no resurrection story in Mark, just an empty tomb. Those who claim to know whether or not it happened are kidding themselves. But that empty tomb symbolizes that the ultimate love in our lives cannot be crucified and killed.

She goes on to say:

For me, the message of Easter is that love is stronger than life or death. That’s a much more awesome claim than that they put Jesus in the tomb and three days later he wasn’t there. For Christians for whom the physical resurrection becomes a sort of obsession, that seems to me to be a pretty wobbly faith. What if tomorrow someone found the body of Jesus still in the tomb? Would that then mean that Christianity was a lie? No, faith is stronger than that.

Response - Statements - Souls - Someone - Ministry

Now before I begin my response to these statements, I need to acknowledge that one of the most spiritually attuned, radically empathetic, beautiful souls I’ve ever known belonged to someone who said she couldn’t go into ordained ministry because she didn’t believe in the resurrection. When she confessed this to me, it put me in a theological quandary, because I believe that orthodox Christian theology matters insofar as it allows us to gain the most intimate possible union with Christ. It is the heart intimacy which reshapes us, makes us holy, and incorporates us perfectly into the body of Christ. So if the resurrection matters as a doctrinal point, then one’s belief or lack of belief in it ought to be manifested in one’s...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mercy Not Sacrifice
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It just doesn't get bettere than this...