Gay transgender man tells his story of giving birth to a boy despite fears of trans phobia

Mail Online | 4/20/2019 | Emer Scully For Mailonline
applekip (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/20/23/12522410-0-image-a-14_1555799138273.jpg

A transgender man went through 'a total loss of self' to give birth to his own baby despite fears of opening himself up to abuse.

Freddy McConnell, 30, is a gay transgender man whose experience of giving birth to his baby boy a year ago will premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival on April 27.

Film - Trailer - Guardian - Clips - Freddy

The film's trailer, released by The Guardian, shows clips from Freddy's pregnancy as he faces the 'daunting experience' of losing himself in order to give birth.

He says: 'This is a film about me having a baby but what I feel like I am going through is not just me having a baby or pregnancy. It is total loss of myself.'

Pregnancy - Deal - Town - Kent - Close-knit

He spent his pregnancy in Deal, a small town in Kent, as the close-knit community made him feel safer than London.

And Freddy's mother tells the documentary her first thought when the child she had raised a girl told her he wanted to be a boy was 'this does mean no grandchildren from Freddy'.

Years - Soul - Journalist - Baby

But after years of soul searching the Guardian journalist decided carrying his baby himself was what he wanted to do.

He said: 'I did always want to have kids one day. Not only women feel broody. I am going to have my own baby and I will be a Dad.'

Freddy - Testosterone - Surgery - Breast - Tissue

Freddy started taking testosterone at 25 and had 'top surgery' to remove breast tissue a year later.

But he never had a hysterectomy to remove his uterus because he had...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!