ADNAN SYED OF ‘SERIAL’ WILL BRING BID FOR NEW TRIAL TO THE SUPREME COURT

The Daily Caller | 2/5/2016 | Staff
EGFZE (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn01.dailycaller.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Supreme-Court-4-e1555779050777.jpg

Adnan Syed of “Serial” fame will appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court, after a state judicial panel refused to reconsider its decision denying his bid for a new trial.

“My heart goes out to my client, who I believe was wrongfully convicted,” Syed attorney Justin Brown said, according to The Baltimore Sun. “We will keep fighting for him. I hope someday we can fix our broken criminal justice system. Today is not that day.”

Brown - Syed - Intentions - Supreme - Court

Brown announced Syed’s intentions to appeal to the Supreme Court in a late Friday tweet.

Syed is currently serving a life sentence for the 1999 murder of his ex-girlfriend Hae Min Lee. Baltimore City Circuit Court Judge Martin Welch granted Syed’s request for a new trial in June 2016, citing ineffective assistance of counsel on the part of Syed’s trial attorney, Cristina Gutierrez.

Gutierrez - Mistakes - Syed - Post-conviction - Lawyers

Gutierrez made two substantial mistakes, according to Syed’s post-conviction lawyers. First, she failed to pursue and introduce an alibi witness, Asia McClain, who claims she was talking with Syed in a public library when Lee may have been murdered. Second, Gutierrez failed to contest cell service location information that placed Syed near...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Daily Caller
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It takes a government, to create a genocide.