Storm kills Florida girl, 8, after tree falls into her family's home

Mail Online | 12/31/1969 | Associated Press
DebraS (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/20/02/12499962-0-image-a-15_1555722616756.jpg

A severe storm system caused the death of an 8-year-old Florida girl on Friday after high winds and rain knocked down a tree that fell on her family's home.

Authorities said the girl, Mariah Weinman, and her 14-year-old brother were injured at their residence in the 11700 block of Old Woodville Highway off of Ace High Stables Road in Woodville, Florida, about nine miles south of Tallahassee.

Mariah - Mother - Sara - Weinman - Facebook

Mariah's mother, Sara Weinman said on Facebook that the tree 'crushed' her daughter.

Both children were taken to the hospital where Mariah ultimately was pronounced dead. The boy's injuries were said to be non life-threatening. A third child, age 12, was uninjured, according to WCTV.

Heart - Daughter - Mariah - Mother - Sara

'Today I lost my heart. My beautiful daughter,' Mariah's mother, Sara Weinman, wrote on her public Facebook page. 'Words cannot express my pain.'

A GoFundMe page was created to raise money for Mariah's funeral expenses.

Baby - Courtney - Weinman - Woman - Mariah

'I'm destroyed. I can't even believe my baby is gone,' Courtney Weinman, a woman who identified herself as Mariah's aunt, wrote on Facebook on Friday.

Leon County Sheriff deputy Dave Teems said the county's Victim Advocates division is assisting the Weinman family as they deal with their loss.

Nation - Region - Thunderstorms - Tornado - Threats

Most of the nation's southeast region contended with thunderstorms and tornado threats Thursday and Friday. Emergency management officials attributed the deaths of at least five people to severe weather over the course of the last 48 hours.

Three people died in Mississippi on Thursday and a woman lost her life in Alabama the same day.

Monica - Clements - St - Clair - County

Monica Clements, 42, of St. Clair County, Alabama was killed after a tree fell on her home, according to WBRC.

Kenderick Magee, 24, died in a car crash during a storm in Amite County, Mississippi on Thursday, WLBT reported.

Weather - Threat - East - Friday - Warnings

The deadly weather threat shifted farther east on Friday, with tornado warnings issued in parts of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!