20-year-old college student says Uber driver left her on side of the road when he found out she was getting an abortion

www.yahoo.com | 4/19/2019 | Staff
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.yimg.com/ny/api/res/1.2/tSswAynlYnMRLm2.fetAyg--~A/YXBwaWQ9aGlnaGxhbmRlcjt3PTY3MjA7aD00NDgwO3NtPTE7aWw9cGxhbmU-/https:/img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/5cba039a2300008903ea22c4.jpeg.cf.jpg

“I debated sticking up for myself, justifying my choice to get an abortion with my young age or my inability to provide for this child financially had I brought it to term, but I knew I shouldn't have to justify my choices to anyone, least of all my Uber driver,” she says. “Was responding to this man’s harassment potentially worth my life? Would my responding actually change anything, or deescalate the situation? Maybe, but to me, it wasn’t worth the risk.”

For a split second, Montgomery says she even considered exiting the vehicle while it was in motion, thinking that even a life-threatening injury was preferable to being in the car.

Montgomery - Action - Moment - Decision - Once

But Montgomery opted to not take action in that moment, which she notes “is a decision I’ll always regret.” Once she was home though, she reported Scott to Uber and filed a police report with the Ithaca Police Department.

“The officer I met with who filed the report was very sympathetic, but he insisted that nothing criminal had actually occurred,” she explains. “Uber comped my ride, and after telling them I filed a police report against the driver, a representative immediately got in touch with me and apologized for my experience on Uber’s behalf. He said they would launch an investigation, during which Scott’s account would be suspended, so he’d be unable to pick up riders. Within a few days, the representative said Scott was permanently banned from the app.”

Uber - Yahoo - Lifestyle - Driver - Service

Uber confirmed to Yahoo Lifestyle that the driver was removed from the service as his actions violated the company’s community guidelines. Montgomery says it was a small price for Scott to pay.

“Sometimes I think of Scott going home to his family and feeling like...
(Excerpt) Read more at: www.yahoo.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!