He Sang in the Belly of the Earth

Desiring God | 4/19/2019 | Joe Rigney
princia (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/he-sang-in-the-belly-of-the-earth-qmx0romy-en/landscape/he-sang-in-the-belly-of-the-earth-qmx0romy-9437b4aa2f5e5bc42196710af43070c5.jpg?ts=1555533236&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

I love to sing Psalm 16, because it’s a psalm of joy and gladness in God’s goodness. I love the truth in these eleven verses.

David begins, “Preserve me, O God, for in you I take refuge” (Psalm 16:1). The fundamental declaration is that God is our Lord and our good. In fact, all the goods that are good come from the Good that is God.

David - Goodness - People - Brothers - Sisters

David celebrates the goodness of his people, brothers and sisters in the faith, in whom he delights (Psalm 16:3); the goodness of our inheritance, which he is keeping for us (Psalm 16:6); the goodness of his counsel (Psalm 16:7). In his presence is fullness of joy, and at his right hand are pleasures forevermore (Psalm 16:11). He is our portion and our cup (Psalm 16:5). He is our lodestar — set out before us, making us unshakeable. Because of all of his goodness, our hearts are glad. We rejoice with our whole being, and our flesh dwells secure (Psalm 16:9).

Who wouldn’t love to sing lines like these?

Reasons - Song - Psalm - Glories - Living

But those aren’t the only reasons I love to sing this song. I love to sing Psalm 16, because it reminds me of one of the glories of living after Easter. You see, the people of God have not always sung the psalm in the same way. We sing Psalm 16 differently than David did. For David, Psalm 16 contains a bit of a puzzle. It’s found in verse 10:

This verse is a puzzle because of a simple fact: David died. He was buried. His soul was abandoned to Sheol. He was laid with his fathers and saw corruption (Acts 2:29; 13:36). And not only David, but all of the saints in the Old Testament died in this way.

Psalm - Window - People

Psalm 16 gives us a window into what happened when people died....
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: