Teenager with Down syndrome said store discriminated against her for her 'disabilities'

Mail Online | 4/19/2019 | Danielle Zoellner For Dailymail.com
stefania (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/19/21/12490806-0-image-a-66_1555705119692.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/19/6718323013384619622/1024x576_MP4_6718323013384619622.mp4

A Kansas teenager with Down syndrome was denied the opportunity to ride a Ferris wheel at an athletic store because of her 'disabilities' — and her family is now calling for a change in policy.

Kathryn Embry, 18, was visiting a Scheels All Sports with her Blue Valley North classmates in Overland Park, Kansas, when she attempted to ride the Ferris wheel inside the athletic store.

Employees - Store - Kathryn - Ferris - Wheel

However, employees at the store told Kathryn she could not ride the Ferris wheel without an adult chaperone because she had 'disabilities', WDAF reports.

'I tried to go on the Ferris wheel with my buddy, but they said I can't because I have disabilities,' Kathryn told the news station.

Conversation - Incident - Friend - Emily - Kramer

Conversation sparked around this incident after friend and classmate Emily Kramer shared a tweet about the field trip at Scheels.

'Kathryn went to Scheels in Overland Park, Kansas, last week and they would not allow her to ride the Ferris Wheel because "she has a disability",' Emily wrote. 'Please help bring awareness so that ALL people can enjoy the basic amenities at Scheels.'

Post - Video - Kathryn - Incident - Ferris

The post included a video of Kathryn saying the incident made her 'really mad' because she wanted to ride the Ferris wheel.

The class Kathryn was with when attending the store, students explained, is made up with half of students with learning disabilities and the other half with peer students who work with them.

Employees - Scheels - Students - Disabilities - Ferris

Previously, employees at Scheels have allowed students with disabilities to ride the Ferris wheel with a peer student riding along. But on this occasion, Kathryn was only allowed to go on the ride once she had an adult chaperone with her.

Kathryn's parents decided to call Scheels the night of the class field trip to better understand why their daughter was not allowed to go on the Ferris wheel...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Trump - Just saying what the rest won't