How do you hire a great growth marketer?

TechCrunch | 4/19/2019 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/GettyImages-1048763642.jpg?w=534

Julian Shapiro is the founder of BellCurve.com, a growth marketing agency that trains you to become a marketing professional. He also writes at Julian.com.

How do you hire a great growth marketer?

Startups - Content - Marketing

How do startups actually get their content marketing to work?

Editors Note: This article is part of a series that explores the world of growth marketing for founders. If you’ve worked with an amazing growth marketing agency, nominate them to be featured in our shortlist of top growth marketing agencies in tech.

Startups - Year - Growth - Marketer

Startups often set themselves back a year by hiring the wrong growth marketer.

This post shares a framework my marketing agency uses to source and vet high-potential growth candidates.

Startups - Growth - Hire

With it, early-stage startups can identify and attract a great first growth hire.

It’ll also help you avoid unintentionally hiring candidates who lack broad competency. Some marketers master 1-2 channels, but aren’t experts at much else. When hiring your first growth marketer, you should aim for a generalist.

Post - Areas

This post covers two key areas:

How I find growth candidates.

Candidates

How I identify which candidates are legitimately talented.

One interesting way to find great marketers is to look for great potential founders.

Marketers - Motive - Years - Experience - Company

Let me explain. Privately, most great marketers admit that their motive for getting hired was to gain a couple years’ experience they could use to start their own company.

Don’t let that scare you. Leverage it: You can sidestep the competitive landscape for marketing talent by recruiting past founders whose startups have recently failed.

Founders - Growth - Marketers - Executors - Ownership

Why do this? Because great founders and great growth marketers are often one and the same. They’re multi-disciplinary executors, they take ownership and they’re passionate about product.

You see, a marketing role with sufficient autonomy mimics the role of a founder: In both, you hustle to acquire users and optimize your product to retain them. You’re working across growth, brand, product and data.

Result - Founders

As a result, struggling founders...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.
Tagged: