Chloë Grace Moretz: 'People said: You're going to lose your career over this'

the Guardian | 4/19/2019 | Staff

Chloë Grace Moretz could make almost anyone she met feel old. She pitches up for our 10.30am coffee date fresh from breakfast yoga: bright eyed and eager, with newly pierced ear cartilage. She makes straight for the brightest table in the place.

At 22, with about 60 films and TV shows under her belt, Moretz still has the face of a child star, which is to say she is a star who looks like a child, with golden hair and cartoon-size features seemingly forever on the verge of a pout. She also has the PR-buffed poise of a long-term A-lister.

Fanning - Sisters - Moretz - Cinema - Actors

Alongside the Fanning sisters, Moretz is one of cinema’s best modern actors whose career began when they were barely school-age. Her professional life started at six; her breakthrough came at 12, with shockingly polished leads in Kick-**** and Hugo. Neil Jordan, the director of her latest movie, Greta, says: “At the age when children shouldn’t even act, she was kind of extraordinary.” The remake of Let the Right One In, Let Me In, also made when she was 12, “had no right to be good, but it was good because of her”, he adds.

Her new film is also a throwback. A breakneck psycho-thriller co-starring Isabelle Huppert in full bunny-boiler mode, Greta is a deranged nod to “90s thrillers – like Basic Instinct, Fatal Attraction – those fun ones you grew up with”.

Fairytale - Trailer - Greta

Millennial fairytale ... watch the trailer for Greta.

There is a pause. Presumably she means me, specifically? “Well, yeah. Being the youngest child in the family, I grew up with everyone else’s cool stuff that they already found.” She thinks being born in 1997 is “depressing. I wish I was born a bit earlier.”

Catalogue - Spooky

You would be forgiven for thinking she was, not only for her formidable back catalogue, but for the spooky...
(Excerpt) Read more at: the Guardian
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: