J.J. Abrams on Rey’s Parents in ‘The Rise of Skywalker’: “There’s More to the Story”

Collider | 4/18/2019 | Adam Chitwood
Click For Photo: http://cdn.collider.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-rey-2-600x251.jpg

It appears the debate over Rey’s parents will indeed continue in Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. Ever since Daisy Ridley’s Rey was introduced as our new protagonist in Star Wars: The Force Awakens, fans have speculated that she’s somehow a relative of the Skywalkers. That’s a fair assumption given that the protagonist of both the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy is a Skywalker, but this new trilogy has appeared to veer off in new and interesting directions, so there remained the possibility that Rey was not, in fact, a Skywalker.

Confirmation of Rey’s lack of Skywalker blood seemingly came in Star Wars: The Last Jedi, when during an intense confrontation with Adam Driver’s Kylo Ren (aka Ben Solo), Kylo tells Rey her parents were nobodies, noting that she’s always known deep down that she doesn’t hail from any “special” lineage. Rey seemed to accept this, and the answer fit thematically with The Last Jedi’s idea that you don’t have to hail from privilege or noble blood to save the galaxy.

Fans - Answer - Episode - IX - Kylo

And yet, some fans were not satisfied with this answer and hoped that Episode IX would reveal that Kylo Ren was lying in The Last Jedi, thereby changing Rey to someone of some “importance.” While Abrams has been tight-lipped about what will or won’t be revealed in Star Wars 9, he curiously said during an interview with ABC News that there’s “more to the story” with regards to Rey’s parents:

“I will say that we knew going into this that this movie had to be a satisfying conclusion, and we’re well aware that [Rey’s parentage is] one of the things that’s sort of been out there. I don’t want to say that what happens in Episode VIII—you know, we’ve honored that. But I will say there’s more to the story than...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Collider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis