Journalist, 29, is shot dead in ‘terrorist incident’ in Londonderry

Mail Online | 4/18/2019 | George Martin;Joel Adams For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2019/04/19/00/12458686-0-image-a-23_1555631431984.jpg

Click For Video: https://videos.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2019/04/19/6834205694853362738/1024x576_MP4_6834205694853362738.mp4

A female journalist was shot dead while covering a riot in Londonderry last night in a suspected dissident republican attack.

The 29-year-old woman is believed to have been hit by a stray bullet after a gunman opened fire indiscriminately at around 11pm.

Friends - Belfast-born - Reporter - Death - MailOnline

Friends of the Belfast-born reporter confirmed her death to MailOnline however it was unclear this morning whether the woman's next of kin had been informed.

One close friend said: 'The loss her friends feel is unquantifiable. Unfathomable. She is utterly irreplaceable.'

Police - Woman - Incident - Murder - Probe

Police said a 29-year-old woman died in what they termed a 'terrorist incident' and confirmed a murder probe was underway. Dissident republican terrorists were suspected of being behind the attack, the BBC reported.

The journalist had headed to the city's Creggan district after riots erupted following police raids on a number of homes yesterday.

Minutes - Shot - Photograph - Scene - Riot

Ten minutes before she was shot, she posted a photograph of the scene describing the riot as 'madness'.

Several vehicles were hijacked and set alight earlier in the incident before the gunshots were heard.

Reporter - Leona - O'Neill - Woman

Another reporter, Leona O'Neill, said she was standing next to the woman who was hit.

She Tweeted: 'I was standing beside this young woman when she fell beside a police Land Rover tonight in Creggan.

Ambulance - Police - Back - Vehicle - Years

'I called an ambulance for her but police put her in the back of their vehicle and rushed her to hospital where she died. Just 29 years old. Sick to my stomach tonight.'

The unrest comes ahead of the Easter weekend where republicans mark the anniversary of the 1916 Easter Rising, a time when dissidents are traditionally active.

Politicians - Killing

Politicians have widely condemned the killing.

Sinn Fein deputy leader Michelle O'Neill said the killing in Derry was a 'senseless loss of life'.

'I - News - Woman - Dissidents - Creggan

She said: 'I am shocked and saddened at the tragic news that a young woman has been shot dead by so-called dissidents in the Creggan estate tonight.

'The...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!