He Was Forsaken by the Father

Desiring God | 4/17/2019 | Marshall Segal
gemini2323 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/he-was-forsaken-by-the-father-oi9ixhxg-en/landscape/he-was-forsaken-by-the-father-oi9ixhxg-d32880fea381b3c7b4b6b91fa7088280.jpg?ts=1555014948&ixlib=rails-3.0.2&auto=format,compress&fit=min&w=800&h=450

My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?

We will never know the full weight those nails held.

Divine - Son - World - Pitch-blackness - Brokenness

The divine Son had broken through into our dark world, shining into the pitch-blackness of our brokenness. Yet his own refused him, because they loved the darkness. And now, at Golgotha, the darkness fell, all the way down, on him. His shoulders bore the sin he never knew.

He had been born to climb this vile tree, walking hand in hand with hostility his whole life. Murderers stalked him before he could walk (Matthew 2:16). He fought the war of wars when he lined up against evil himself in the wilderness (Matthew 4:1). While he healed the sick and cast out demons, the religious leaders accused him of devilry (Matthew 10:25). The Word became flesh and dwelt among sinners, and they brutally assaulted him — relentlessly plotting, beating, mocking until his flesh gave way.

Cross - Silence - Enmity - Mutiny

Now, on the cross, his silence only amplified the enmity in their mutiny.

But he did eventually break his silence — not with his own words, but with Psalm 22:1. “Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land until the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, ‘Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?’ that is, ‘My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?’” (Matthew 27:45–46).

Hands - Lungs - Jesus - Psalm - Words

With pierced hands and collapsing lungs, Jesus gripped Psalm 22. These had been the desperate words of an innocent man facing aggression on every side. Now the sinless Son of God was the surrounded one.

Like the rabid jaws of wild bulls (Psalm 22:12–13), the scribes and Pharisees wanted every last ounce of his blood. The viper’s brood had hunted him at every turn, falsely accusing him of evil and conspiring to destroy him (Matthew 12:14). While he...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: